Sunday, January 29, 2012

Guest Blogger: Alonzo Braggs

State of the Union Response



And he spoke to me……

The challenge of any leader is to not only accomplish the task, but to somehow inspire and motivate beyond the physical and tangible matters and materials at hand. He or she must be able to cause the laborers and endorsers to see with clarity the past that has sustained, and what should be gleaned from it, the present that presents opportunities for change, and the directions to move from this symbolic mount of privilege, and finally, a future with an intentional place or position that will become another sustained past eventually.


The State of the Union tonight addressed those key three components for America. As I listened, I felt that the address did not place the burden of creating a new past, solely on Congress and the elected or appointed officials. I believed he was also speaking to me. As a citizen I must become aware of America’s state, familiarize myself with who directly and indirectly shape the desired changes, and actively participate in any and all processes designed to position persons, and finally practice practical principles that correlate with respective policies.

I am grateful for a leader who advocates for inclusiveness, objectivity, and impartiality for all. I wasn’t there, no reserved seating by virtue of position or power was mines to occupy, there’s not a copy earmarked with my name, nor did I meet the favor of having my story included in his address, but he spoke to me.

I have in my collection of paintings a piece called the broken promise. It shows this little African American girl seated on the side of a shanty holding a fragmented small flag. Earlier today I stood at attention and saluted as a young man sung the national anthem at a high school basketball game. I heard the lyrics and I looked at that flag. Tonight, I am aware that promises may have been broken, but I am so proud to be an American, and to have my leader inspire me and others, that without regard to the failures of our past, the present is pregnant with ripe provisions that present for us a healthier future. I heard what he said, and I was deeply moved, what was your response as he also spoke to you.

Alonzo Braggs, citizen

0 comments: