Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Politics, Press and The People

Sheriff Candidate 
Calvin Woodard
I Won't Let You Down

Greetings, first, I would like to thank the editor for allowing information from my campaign to be placed in the paper. With due regards, however, it is obvious that Wilson Times is providing support for Wayne Gay.

Upon viewing the many captions that have been placed in the paper, none of my “Meet and Greets” were in large print or was at the top of the page. My fundraiser was never reported with my platform ideas as they did with Wayne Gay. In addition, all of my events were in black and white while all of his events were in color- I am sure that the cameras in this day and time are digital and color.

It is understandable which side that a person or organization supports, because everyone has that right. What is not understandable is that every candidate was not provided equal disclosure or as I was told, “face time” within the Wilson Times. They may develop an excuse to the reason, but there is no way that such an excuse could be warranted.

It is not that I am upset with the Times, but as a paying advertiser, I am highly aware of the tactics being used to promote Wayne Gay. Upon being told that Gay would and could not have a front-page spot (they were all taken) was changed when now a company (who purchased a spot for a year) allowed Gay to use their spot. I am then notified by the Times that I could do the same thing… after I had advertised with the times approximately a month ago.

Wilson Times should be similar to how I would ensure the taxpayers of Wilson County: fairness, equality and with integrity... but it is seen that such morals are displaced by the hands of the “good ole boy” system. I will work to "Give the County Back to the People, I will work for you!

Vote May 4, 2010. May God Bless Wilson County.
Calvin L. Woodard- Candidate for Wilson County Sheriff


This article published courtesy of the Committee to Elect Calvin Woodard for Wilson County Sheriff

3 comments:

they do said...

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Morgan may be a friend and crony of the incumbent sheriff. it isd his paper and he has every right to favor any longterm entrenched special interest incumbent if he chooses to . as a thirty year subscriber to the times me and my friends who feel the times is giving biased coverage to said incumbent have every right too object to favoritism by the times and cancel or not renew our subscriptions. If you can give just and equal time and coverage to both candidates that is what i intend to do and urge all my friends to do. Just like in the municipal elections , who decided a staged picture of One candidate pretending to nail up a sign warranted publication over another candidate. Sheriff gays fundraiser article picture ironically had nothing but African Americans , all strangely with the same last name , and if i had to guess all members of the same family.who is Sheriff Gay trying to fool. does he mean to imply for one minute he has a majority of minority backers. this contest shouldn't be about race.By the way i am one of many white supporter of Calvins . But in a subtle way Sheriff Gay is trying to play the race card with staged publicity shots such as this. it should be about the most qualified and the best to serve the citizens of this county in a fair and impartial way. Calvin Woodard wins hands over heels in this category.

we know said...

The Daily Times has never been objective or fair so this is nothing new. Nobody is paying attention to all of the nonsense in the newspaper anyway. It's junk. Mr. Woodard has been doing a good job in his campaign and has won over many folks with his straight talk and open meetings. It took guts to write this article and put the truth in print. Good job, Calvin. You have my vote.

Curmilus Dancy II said...

This is quite interesting however it is the norm. This is what happens when we do not have a black newspaper in the area to help keep it real.