Friday, September 17, 2010

Campaigns Kick in gear

Campaigns kick in gear
Farmer releases 100-day plan for Wilson

About 100 people came out to the campaign headquarters Tuesday of unaffiliated candidate for sheriff John Farmer. The campaign office is located at 3612 Eagle Point Lane, across from Cornerstone Bank on West Nash Street.

Farmer, a retired major from the sheriff's office, told the group if he is elected sheriff it will be important to work with other law enforcement agencies to fight crime. "Believe me, the criminal element studies what law enforcement does," Farmer said. "They understand what they've got to do to get by with whatever illegal activities they take a part in -- and they are organized."

Farmer told the group he has a first 100-day plan for when he is elected designed to let citizens know they are getting the best public safety services available. Farmer also said he will look in the sheriff's office at how to place personnel and he will also look at how to make people in businesses, homes and schools feel safer.

"The only way that is going to happen is Nov. 2, you have got to get out there and vote," Farmer said. "Not only have you got to get out and vote, you've got to bring your family, you've got to bring your friends, you've got to bring your enemies." Farmer told the group he knows nothing about politics.

"John Farmer is a law enforcement officer," Farmer said. "But I've got a crew behind me that is second to none." Click here to view John Farmer's 100-day plan. One of the people who showed up to attend Farmer's open house was Charles Smith. Smith said he's happy Farmer is running for sheriff. Smith is registered unaffiliated and says he's a Tea Party member.

"I finally have somebody I can vote for," Smith said. "I like Johnny. I hope he succeeds."
 Don Winstead came to the opening to meet Farmer and to hear what he has to say face to face. "I've never met Mr. Farmer, so I'm here to meet him and I'd like to meet Mr. Woodard also to form an informative decision," Winstead said. Winstead he sees the job of sheriff as a big responsibility and being a good leader is important to him. "I consider myself a very good judge of people, so I think in a 10 or 15 minute conversation, I can make up my mind," Winstead said.

Winstead said he intends to try to get a ticket to the debate Oct. 12. that The Wilson Times is sponsoring at Fike High School. Longtime coworker, Major Mickey Wilson, said Farmer has wanted to run for sheriff for a really long time, and this is a good time for him to run.

"I'm supporting John Farmer 100 percent," Wilson said. "I've been with him since the day he said he was going to run. For 30 years I've worked with him side by side and he is more than qualified to be sheriff of Wilson County." Wilson said he has witnessed Farmer work all areas of law enforcement from criminal investigations, budgets to administration.

"Ten years ago we talked about it, and he said he was going to run for sheriff if Sheriff Gay ever steps down," Wilson said. "I promised him 10 years ago, if he ever ran for sheriff, I would support him."

* Article written by Wilson Times staff writer by Janet Conner-Knox. Click here to follow the comments.

0 comments: